Sunday, February 7, 2021

Are we really more moral than slave owners?

 I recall saying to this to my friends a few times, "What would be a current day analogy to the practice of human slavery in the past? It would be how we treat animals." 

Certainly, people back then did not think it was moral to do so, but used various excuses to rationalize it and/or suppress those thoughts and go on about their lives. Otherwise decent people who enslaved other people would probably have said "everyone else is doing it", and people who benefited from low cost of goods at the expense of those enslaved would probably have said, "I have to live, and I am not the one enslaving". 

I am guilty of such rationalizing all these years knowing full well how animals I am eating were treated all their life before they were slaughtered, often in-humanely. They are tortured horribly all their life before being converted into nuggets and packages which we buy at the counter, or order from our tables. Pigs and Cows are so emotionally mature that they are social, show love to their off-springs, and even to humans if the effort is made. Yet, I am guilty of suppressing those thoughts. When I am trying to understand people living in bubbles, this rather shameful chapter of my life should serve as a helping tool. 

I am writing this now while attempting to transition to plant based food only, but my guilt is not the main reason I am attempting this transition. Rather, it is for my health. I hope I learn my lesson from this and try to do the right things in the Future (for the right reasons). 



No comments: