Wednesday, August 10, 2016

neuroscience computing terms

We know a lot more about computing terms for computers than for the brain. It is likely that the following aspects about the brain are being investigated  currently, in which case I would like to know their technical terms and learn about the research into these aspects.

  1. Sometimes, while I am driving to some place, I forget to thing about a route beforehand. On the way, I realize I have to plan my route and "load the program" to plan it. I can distinctly observe a "processing time" to plan out this route, and sometimes this processing time causes me to miss an exit, an exit which was in the planned route.

  2. Sometimes, while I set out to drive to a location and start thinking about something else, I arrive at a different (often traveled) location without realizing it. The closest analogy I can think of is a "non-interactive background process ". I cannot say (or can I?) that this is a subconscious act, because I distinctly remember making the decisions to make the turns, "processing" the speeds and the degrees of rotations on the steering wheels. So, was I semi-conscious?
Are the above aspects recognized and studied as neurological phenomenon?

1 comment:

scripty said...

This is getting at something that I've been reading up on: dual process theory. The basic idea, as far as I currently understand it, is that we can model cognition as the interoperation of two systems, aptly named System I and System II. System I, or unconscious reasoning, is experience-based, fast and automatic whereas System II, or conscious reasoning, is logic-based, slow and deliberate.

So, if you become aware of something or you have to stop and think, you're using System II; if it just happens, you're using System I. Of course, changing from I to II (habituation), or II to I (sensitization) is possible.

Lately, I've been discussing with some psychologists the idea that this model is simply a quantization of a continuum of consciousness (e.g. where do lucid dreams occur?) but, I'm not sure where this idea fits with the Dynamic Graded Continuum model, for example.

You're in good company! The example of driving somewhere automatically is a common example used in discussions on these topics.

Also, Michio Kaku does some nice name-dropping in his book "The Future of the Mind" if you want an easy way to find some references.
-SC